GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Dam/Weir Model Using SMS FESWMS

Lee

I am a new SMS user. Could anybody please teach me how to model the following flow conditions:

1. A dam/spillway/weir structure in a natural stream. The upstream water flows over the structure 100%;

2. A channel with a negative slope (a tailrace downstream of a power house);

3. Vertical sidewalls located at the inlet of a channel (water flows into the modeled field in between the walls).

I have tried many times by adjusting BCs, using FESWMS spinning down, ..., the models have never converged. What are the key factors to affect the SMS FESWMS convergence?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am a new SMS user. Could anybody please teach me how to model the following flow conditions:

1. A dam/spillway/weir structure in a natural stream. The upstream water flows over the structure 100%;

3. Vertical sidewalls located at the inlet of a channel (water flows into the modeled field in between the walls).

I have tried many times by adjusting BCs, using FESWMS spinning down, ..., the models have never converged. What are the key factors to affect the SMS FESWMS convergence?

Lee,

The biggest factor of whether or not your model will converge is the mesh. If you have a bad mesh, it will cause lots of problems. Turn on the "Mesh Quality" box in the display options, it will help show where the mesh could have problems. Changing the Turbulence parameters can help the model converge.

For help with structures click here.

Cheers,

Cameron

I'm not sure why you choose FESWMS and perhaps a different model is not an option. If a different model is an option, I would consider one of our more stable models either TUFLOW or use SRH through the generic model interface.

If using FESWMS is your only option and the structure will be weir flow at your flowrate, you may need to define it as a weir:

1. Cut out a section of the mesh (don't mesh it or turn the materials to disable)

2. Create nodestrings on both sides of the gap

3. Select both nodestrings and select FESWMS | Weir

Once you do this try running with boundary conditions of low flow and high water surface elevation and see if you can get it to run. Turn up the eddy viscosity if you need to as well. If you get to this point save the project with a different name and try using the spin down steering. To do this you need to change the boundary conditions and eddy viscosities to what you want them to be. You will need to setup the initial percentages to match the run that went to completion.