GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

GMS 6.5 with MT3D TOB package: where is the .obs file

rubyfu

Hello!

I am currently using a GMS 6.5 that uses MT3DMS 5.0 for its transport package. I utilized the Transport Observation Package in MT3D and have successfully obtained the .TOB file. However, I realized that in the newer version of MT3D (5.3), you can generate .obs file at observation points and this file has much simpler format so that I can easily read in those values into MATLAB.

My question is:

1) Is there a way to have MT3DMS 5.0 spew out this .obs file in GMS?

2) if not, how can I run GMS 6.5 with the newer version of MT3DMS(v5.3)?

Thanks a lot!

Ruby

You can try going into the Edit | Preferences command and change the location of your MT3D executable to point to the newer version of MT3D.

I am not sure if this will help, but if you are interested in the concentration values over time at a particular cell in the model you can use the Active Data Set Time Series plot. You create the plot using the plot wizard. The plot updates when ever you select a new cell. You can right click on the plot and select view values and the times and concentrations come up in a spread sheet that you can copy and paste into excel or a text editor.

You can try going into the Edit | Preferences command and change the location of your MT3D executable to point to the newer version of MT3D.

I am not sure if this will help, but if you are interested in the concentration values over time at a particular cell in the model you can use the Active Data Set Time Series plot. You create the plot using the plot wizard. The plot updates when ever you select a new cell. You can right click on the plot and select view values and the times and concentrations come up in a spread sheet that you can copy and paste into excel or a text editor.

Thanks a lot for your quick response Alan! I will try the first thing you mentioned. What I really want to do is to read in those concentration data automatically into an data array in MATLAB (without having to copy and past to Excel)... :-(