GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Best NWS in ADCIRC?

amy

Hi,

I need to do simulations using ADCIRC, where input data for wind velocity (at 10 m level) and sea level pressure change along the time. Can you please clarify me which NWS values enable to read data along the time and the best one? It looks like only NWS=10 can do that, by creating files fort.xx1, ...

What do you think?

Thanks.

Amy

Hi,

I need to do simulations using ADCIRC, where input data for wind velocity (at 10 m level) and sea level pressure change along the time. Can you please clarify me which NWS values enable to read data along the time and the best one? It looks like only NWS=10 can do that, by creating files fort.xx1, ...

What do you think?

Thanks.

Amy

Amy,

I would use NWS 5 which uses the wind velocity (at 10 m) and sea level pressure. SMS can create the fort 22 file from velocity vector and surface pressure data sets. If you use NWS = 10 then you would have to create the fort 22 file on your own and then have SMS direct ADCIRC to it in the wind tab.

Notes for NWS = 5, -5, 105, -105

Meteorological data is input directly to all nodes in the ADCIRC grid. The ADCIRC grid must be either in lon, lat coordinates or in meter-based Cartesian coordinates.

If NWS = 5 or 105, the first set of met. data corresponds to TIME=STATIM. If NWS = -105 or -5, the first set of met data corresponds to TIME=HOT START TIME. Additional sets of met. data must be provided every WTIMINC, where WTIMINC is the met. data time interval and is specified in the Model Parameter and Periodic Boundary Condition File. Met data is interpolated in time to the ADCIRC time step.

Wind velocity (@ 10 m above the water surface) must be input in m/s and surface atmospheric pressure must be input in meters of water.

The following relations are used to compute wind stress from wind velocity:

WIND_SPEED = magnitude of WIND_VEL

DRAG_COEFF = 0.001*(0.75+0.067*WIND_SPEED)

if(DRAG_COEFF.gt.0.003) DRAG_COEFF=0.003

WIND_STRESS = DRAG_COEFF*0.001293*WIND_VEL*WIND_SPEED