GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

solids modeling

Betty

I have bunch of boring logs and would like to build a solids model. I also expect to use the solids model for future MODFLOW practice.

My problem is that the site is quite heterogeneous and complicated. The cross sections automatically built by automatically assigned horizons (or material match) do not comply with common geologic concepts. So I ended up building cross sections manually. When I was trying to use these cross sections to build the solids model, the software indicates that I do not have sufficient scatter points for interpolation (both techniques). I think that is due to the incorrectly assigned horizons when I tried the automatic option. However, it would be impossible for me to assign horizons manually because of the complexity of the site.

I do hope the program can interpolate based on the cross section I made manually using the materials, not horizons. Is it possible? Or could someone suggest a solution for my problem?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I have bunch of boring logs and would like to build a solids model. I also expect to use the solids model for future MODFLOW practice.

My problem is that the site is quite heterogeneous and complicated. The cross sections automatically built by automatically assigned horizons (or material match) do not comply with common geologic concepts. So I ended up building cross sections manually. When I was trying to use these cross sections to build the solids model, the software indicates that I do not have sufficient scatter points for interpolation (both techniques). I think that is due to the incorrectly assigned horizons when I tried the automatic option. However, it would be impossible for me to assign horizons manually because of the complexity of the site.

I do hope the program can interpolate based on the cross section I made manually using the materials, not horizons. Is it possible? Or could someone suggest a solution for my problem?

Thanks.

This is just a guess: your problem may be that you do not have enough vertices on the lines that you have used to define your cross sections. Thus your cross sections are not really aiding in the Horizons->Solids method. See this documentation for details: http://www.xmswiki.com/index.php?title=GMS..._Cross_Sections

Thanks.

why dont you try to make from the limits in your boreholes simple tins and from those tins it is not so complicated to create solids, i did it also with complicated geological setings. also in that case you dont have to worry for the horizons that are quite time consuming if you have severals.

i hope it will helps