GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Big Grid

walkington

Hi,

I am starting to look at the possibility of generating a large grid for use in ADCIRC simulations. Our current grid is 400k nodes and is of the west coast of the UK but we want to extend this to the European Shelf at similar resolutions which would suggest that the grid is going to be at least 1M nodes and probably quite a lot more. I am guessing that we should probably use the 64bit version of SMS for this. Is this your recomendation?

Thanks

Ian

I would definitely recommend using the 64-bit version for this. Depending upon what else you have in SMS, I think the limit for mesh nodes would be somewhere along the order of 1.5 million but maybe a little more.

I would strongly recommend that you make sure you have as much RAM as possible. I would recommend at least 6GB. Also make sure you have a decent graphics card. We recommend Nvidia cards because they just seem to work better. Preferably your graphics card would have 512MB of RAM.

Even with the above dealing with this many nodes/elements can take some time. Please let us know if you run into trouble or excessive waiting. We will see if there are better ways to approach the problem and use the feedback to guide future performance improvements within SMS.

Hi,

I am starting to look at the possibility of generating a large grid for use in ADCIRC simulations. Our current grid is 400k nodes and is of the west coast of the UK but we want to extend this to the European Shelf at similar resolutions which would suggest that the grid is going to be at least 1M nodes and probably quite a lot more. I am guessing that we should probably use the 64bit version of SMS for this. Is this your recomendation?

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at getting a windows 7 64bit machine with a lot of ram (I think there was a machine with upto 24GB within our price region). I presume that SMS 64 bit works with windows 7? I also guess that I can if needed split the grid into two or three sections and then stitch them together if it can't handle the number of nodes that we will need.

Thanks again

Ian

Yes, SMS works with Windows 7 (I use Windows 7 64-bit).

With the 64-bit version, you shouldn't run out of memory as long as you can access more virtual memory (hard drive). It will just get slow.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at getting a windows 7 64bit machine with a lot of ram (I think there was a machine with upto 24GB within our price region). I presume that SMS 64 bit works with windows 7? I also guess that I can if needed split the grid into two or three sections and then stitch them together if it can't handle the number of nodes that we will need.

Thanks again

Ian