GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Chinese coordinate system

BCGhydraulics

Hi

I'm working on a dataset with points registered in the "Beijing 1954 coordinate system", which MAY be another name for a Gauss-Kruger 3-degree projection. I can only see the 6-degree Gauss-Kruger in the drop-down list. Thus my question is: does SMS support 3-degrees, is it called under another name?

Thank you.

Jean

We use the library from a software package called GlobalMapper to do handle projections.

Here is the response I got from their support:

"The Gauss Krueger projection is just another name for the Transverse Mercator projection with a particular set of parameters. So you can always define any Gauss Krueger that doesn't have a pre-defined entry using the Transverse Mercator projection and entering the proper parameters."

I'm not sure what the proper parameters are. I imagine you can find them on the internet. If you run into trouble, feel free to post a follow-up and we'll see what we can do.

Hi

I'm working on a dataset with points registered in the "Beijing 1954 coordinate system", which MAY be another name for a Gauss-Kruger 3-degree projection. I can only see the 6-degree Gauss-Kruger in the drop-down list. Thus my question is: does SMS support 3-degrees, is it called under another name?

Thank you.

Jean

Hi Rusty - Thank you for contacting GlobalMapper tech support. I can't see any parameters to adjust in the TM dropdown list option. Is it possible to load the projection directly? I'll keep looking, anything else would be useful.

Jean

We use the library from a software package called GlobalMapper to do handle projections.

Here is the response I got from their support:

"The Gauss Krueger projection is just another name for the Transverse Mercator projection with a particular set of parameters. So you can always define any Gauss Krueger that doesn't have a pre-defined entry using the Transverse Mercator projection and entering the proper parameters."

I'm not sure what the proper parameters are. I imagine you can find them on the internet. If you run into trouble, feel free to post a follow-up and we'll see what we can do.

In the Select Projection dialog, if you choose Transverse Mercator as the projection you can edit the parameters at the bottom (scale factor, centeral meridian, etc) by clicking on the number to the right.

Once you get those numbers set correctly, I would recommend that you save it to a file and then load the file when you want to use it in the future using the buttons in that dialog.

Good luck.

Hi Rusty - Thank you for contacting GlobalMapper tech support. I can't see any parameters to adjust in the TM dropdown list option. Is it possible to load the projection directly? I'll keep looking, anything else would be useful.

Jean