GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

64 bit

Bruce Campbell

Hi -- Just got a new PC with Windows 7 64 bit operating system. Installed GMS 7.1 successfully but can't get any of my files to open. Will GMS work with this operating system?

Sometimes there is an issue in Windows 7 with opening project files in the Program Files Directory. I would recommend moving one of your files to the Documents directory and trying to open if from there. Let us know if that works.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using 64bit Windows 7 and GMS for about 6 months now and havent seen any Windows related problems yet. Although Arcview 9.2 AND 9.3 have some major problems with 64bit Windows 7. They can actually run without crashing, but give you invalid results.

Sometimes there is an issue in Windows 7 with opening project files in the Program Files Directory. I would recommend moving one of your files to the Documents directory and trying to open if from there. Let us know if that works.

Edited by Hydrology

By the way, I would never recommend putting any project files in the Programs directory for any OS. Create a separate directory for each project and put the GMS files in there.

I have been using 64bit Windows 7 and GMS for about 6 months now and havent seen any Windows related problems yet.