GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Google Earth animations

lacewater

In testing the new capability to export film loop to kmz, I have found a slight positioning error when viewing the animation in Google Earth. The horizontal shift looks to be about 15 m.

For background, I am importing TUFLOW results into SMS 10.1 and then setting the projection to the appropriate global projection (Map Grid of Australia Zone 56) and datum (GDA94).

Although the error is small, its enough to make the results look incorrect when viewed closely (eg. roads/houses are inundated when they are actually dry). When the raw TUFLOW results are mapped in our GIS (ie. independent of SMS) there is no spatial error. Similarly, when I import the background aerial (ecw file) into SMS the results overlay correctly.

Has anyone else found similar issues exporting to GE? And hopefully resolved them!

My guess is that the problem is going back to lats/longs in GE, and therefore not something that can be worked around.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I haven't noticed this problem before. I wonder if it is specific to converting from that coordinate system?

If you could get some files that illustrate the difference, it would really help us track down and fix the problem. It would be super if we could also get an ECW like you describe for comparison. Please contact support@aquaveo.com for upload instructions if you would be willing to help us out. The files don't need to be TUFLOW results or even real data. You could probably just put in some arcs or something to illustrate the problem.

Since you seem to have figured out how far off they are, you might be able to adjust the kmz data that is sent to Google earth. It might be a bit of a pain, but you might be able to get it to work. If you change the name of the kmz file to zip, you can open it and remove the contents. Inside will be a kml file and several png files. The kml file describes the time and locations associated with the png files. I believe the kml file coordinates will describe the lower left corner of the image. If you could determine the correct coordinates, you might be able to do a search and replace for the short term.

Please send along your files if you can.

Rusty

In testing the new capability to export film loop to kmz, I have found a slight positioning error when viewing the animation in Google Earth. The horizontal shift looks to be about 15 m.

For background, I am importing TUFLOW results into SMS 10.1 and then setting the projection to the appropriate global projection (Map Grid of Australia Zone 56) and datum (GDA94).

Although the error is small, its enough to make the results look incorrect when viewed closely (eg. roads/houses are inundated when they are actually dry). When the raw TUFLOW results are mapped in our GIS (ie. independent of SMS) there is no spatial error. Similarly, when I import the background aerial (ecw file) into SMS the results overlay correctly.

Has anyone else found similar issues exporting to GE? And hopefully resolved them!

My guess is that the problem is going back to lats/longs in GE, and therefore not something that can be worked around.

Cheers,

Nick