GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

maximum number of nodes

GroundwaterUB

We want to do some high resolution flow and transport modeling using MODFLOW and MT3D from within GMS. We are looking at about 10^6 nodes. Is this feasible? If not, could any of the three be recompiled for more nodes?

Thanks

It seems like it should be alright but keep in mind that there are quite a few things that could cause memory problems. The way the memory is allocated creates certain restrictions, but a lot has to do with your model. A basic MODFLOW model might run fine with that many nodes but if you then add a number of observation wells then it might run out of memory.

• 4 weeks later...

Chad,

I have been told "Really the only limitation to GMS is your RAM, the more RAM that you have the larger models you can run". That was , of course, true before anyone thought you would have more than about 2 GB of RAM. Now that RAM is becoming cheaper it is easy to get more RAM in a PC than it can really use. I have 3 GB of RAM but I find monster models usually hit a wall when editing time steps or saving, rather than when running MODFLOW - I really hate the dreaded black exclamation mark in a yellow triangle obove "OK" which means you MODFLOW simulation has disappeared.

You have said, in other correspondence, that there is about a 2GB limit per process. If you have a multi-core CPU (say a quad-core), can GMS be spread over the multiple cores (giving you 8 GB of RAM working on GMS rather than just 2)? If so is it done by the OS or by GMS?

I know the sensible solution would be to reduce the number of cell/time steps by breaking the model up in to sub-grids or running several models over fewer time steps, but this is not always easy when the data is linked to another grid model (which might have been fine for a 2D surface model but becomes huge when you turn it in to a 6-layer groundwater model).

I suppose the ultimate question is, what is the highest-spec, stand-alone GMS machine (cores, RAM, OS) that it is currently worth setting up, to build and run monster models?