GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Getting coastline from NOAA

Jose Maria

Dear friends:

I am trying to import coastline data from NOAA.I have the file, following the rules at the wiki (NOAA Coastlines).

O.K. up to now.

Now, the last line of the rules says: The coastline data that you have sought is now yours. It is possible to import it into SMS models.. Yes, but my question is: how? I am trying to open it (menu: File/Open) but I get errors and errors.

How can I do it?

Thanks, cheers,

Jose

Please contact support@aquaveo.com and get them your files. We'll have a look and see if we can see what is happening.

Dear friends:

I am trying to import coastline data from NOAA.I have the file, following the rules at the wiki (NOAA Coastlines).

O.K. up to now.

Now, the last line of the rules says: The coastline data that you have sought is now yours. It is possible to import it into SMS models.. Yes, but my question is: how? I am trying to open it (menu: File/Open) but I get errors and errors.

How can I do it?

Thanks, cheers,

Jose

• 2 weeks later...

Todd: Look below the display of the coastline once you have completed step 5. There should be a link which reads "Here is the coastline data you extracted: *.dat (*** bytes)." Right click on this link and select Save Target As. Then save the file to your computer as *.DAT or as *.txt.

Now open SMS and open the file. Just click OK at the Open File Format window and it should read in fine.

JM: "O.K., I managed it! Thanks a lot, Todd. But I get it as Scatter points. How can I convert it in coastline?

Cheers,

JM"

Nate: The way to convert your scatter set to a coastline is to click on your adcirc coverage and then select Feature Objects|Create Coastline. You will then select what elevation you would like your coastline at.

*One thing to note is that you must triangulate your scatter set before you create the coastline.

You should be able to assign the boundary conditions of an arc by using the Select Arc tool and double clicking on the arc you wish to assign conditions to.