GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

SMS display in scatter and map modules

jiangtao

Hi,

I found that if you open more than one scatter dataset, when you select the following datasets as the active scatter set, the points in following datasets that are identical to points in the first dataset will be masked out by the inactive display.

I also have a problem with the active and inactive display problem in the map module. I have four coverages in the map module and one of them will never show up as inactive coverage.

Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks,

Jiangtao

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

While this may very well be a bug as has been suggested, it may also just be a byproduct of how display works in 3D. If possible, please do contact technical support.

To handle 3D display and oblique views, SMS displays entities at their actual z location. Items at a higher z elevation will cover or mask items at the same x/y coordinate but lower z value. Scattersets do not have specified z values. The z values used in a scatterset are based upon the current scalar dataset. If the data represents elevations, when you switch to an oblique view your scatter will have the appropriate elevations. If the data represents velocity magnitudes the locations will be "higher" in areas of high velocity.

Map data also has a z value but it often is not used. If you select a map node or vertex, the elevation will be displayed in the edit window right above the graphics window.

If two entities are at the same elevations (copied from one to another), the object displayed last will generally win out. This could explain why you are getting some of your objects "masked." SMS does not have a way to control the display order of such objects. One possible solution would be to raise/lower the elevations of one of the sets of data to get the ones you want on top. For map data, you could change all the z values in each coverage since they aren't really used for anything else by selecting all the nodes changing the z-value then selecting all the vertices and changing the z value. For the scatter set you could use the data calculator to offset one of the datasets. Generally scatter set elevations are used, but if you make the offset small enough it wouldn't make any difference to your calculations.

I hope that this helps.

Hi,

I found that if you open more than one scatter dataset, when you select the following datasets as the active scatter set, the points in following datasets that are identical to points in the first dataset will be masked out by the inactive display.

I also have a problem with the active and inactive display problem in the map module. I have four coverages in the map module and one of them will never show up as inactive coverage.

Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks,

Jiangtao

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rusty,

Thanks very much for your reply. I've just contacted tech support and emailed them the files with multiple coverage in map module.

The problem with scatter data could easily be reproduced so I didn't include a sample. As you stated "If two entities are at the same elevations, the object displayed last will generally win out.", I would intuitively expect that when I select whichever scatter dataset to be the active display, all points in this dataset would show up with the active display color instead of being masked out.

Many thanks for your help!

Regards,

Jiangtao

Hi,

While this may very well be a bug as has been suggested, it may also just be a byproduct of how display works in 3D. If possible, please do contact technical support.

To handle 3D display and oblique views, SMS displays entities at their actual z location. Items at a higher z elevation will cover or mask items at the same x/y coordinate but lower z value. Scattersets do not have specified z values. The z values used in a scatterset are based upon the current scalar dataset. If the data represents elevations, when you switch to an oblique view your scatter will have the appropriate elevations. If the data represents velocity magnitudes the locations will be "higher" in areas of high velocity.

Map data also has a z value but it often is not used. If you select a map node or vertex, the elevation will be displayed in the edit window right above the graphics window.

If two entities are at the same elevations (copied from one to another), the object displayed last will generally win out. This could explain why you are getting some of your objects "masked." SMS does not have a way to control the display order of such objects. One possible solution would be to raise/lower the elevations of one of the sets of data to get the ones you want on top. For map data, you could change all the z values in each coverage since they aren't really used for anything else by selecting all the nodes changing the z-value then selecting all the vertices and changing the z value. For the scatter set you could use the data calculator to offset one of the datasets. Generally scatter set elevations are used, but if you make the offset small enough it wouldn't make any difference to your calculations.

I hope that this helps.