GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

SMS Calibration Time Series Plot Error & Flux Plots

Steve S

1) I am trying to generate plots comparing modeled stage to the stage from a calibration point. I have created an observation coverage, set it to transient, and put in the time series data for the observation point. Then I created a time series plot to compare, but in the plot the observed data series is displayed as a horizontal line with the value of the first entry in the observation coverage time series. It will not display the actual data entered. Am I making an error or is this a bug?

2) I would like to plot the discharge over time for a 4-cell wide channel segment. I cannot figure out how to do this. I gather that you should create an observation arc and create a time series plot for that arc. What options/steps do you use to generate this plot?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi Steve,

On #1, the time series will always show the computed data. In the plot data dialog (second step of the wizard or you can get to it later by right clicking on the plot), there is a toggle labeled "Use calibration data." To the right of this toggle is a combo-box with three options: line, extents, and band. Line shows your calibration data along with the measured data. Extents and band are related to the interval specified with the measurement. They show the observed values +/- this interval. To use this feature, the dataset chosen in the top of the dialog where you defined the measurement data must correspond to the dataset you are plotting in your time-series curve.

On #2, this is also done with a time-series plot. This time in plot data you have to change the function type to flux. This requires a vector and scalar dataset. The vector dataset needs to represent velocity. The scalar dataset needs to represent the depth of the water column.

I hope all this makes sense and helps.

1) I am trying to generate plots comparing modeled stage to the stage from a calibration point. I have created an observation coverage, set it to transient, and put in the time series data for the observation point. Then I created a time series plot to compare, but in the plot the observed data series is displayed as a horizontal line with the value of the first entry in the observation coverage time series. It will not display the actual data entered. Am I making an error or is this a bug?

2) I would like to plot the discharge over time for a 4-cell wide channel segment. I cannot figure out how to do this. I gather that you should create an observation arc and create a time series plot for that arc. What options/steps do you use to generate this plot?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Rusty -

For #1 - I did that exact series of steps and just retried it with the same result described above. I have checked the "Use calibration data" box and the data sets are the same. The observed data series simply plots as a horizontal line using the value on the first line of the time series entered. When I change this value it just shifts the line vertically to the new value. When I right click on the line and choose "View values" it reports the values as being constant, instead of what I entered in the observation coverage dialog. Any other suggestions?

For #2 - Got that to work - thanks!

Steve

Strange this worked for me.

If you could contact support@aquaveo.com, they can tell you how to get your files to them. Have them pass them to Rusty and I'll take a look.

Rusty -

For #1 - I did that exact series of steps and just retried it with the same result described above. I have checked the "Use calibration data" box and the data sets are the same. The observed data series simply plots as a horizontal line using the value on the first line of the time series entered. When I change this value it just shifts the line vertically to the new value. When I right click on the line and choose "View values" it reports the values as being constant, instead of what I entered in the observation coverage dialog. Any other suggestions?

For #2 - Got that to work - thanks!

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I am having difficulties to evaluate and plot the discharge (flux) over an observation arc. The model I'm using is steady state, and therefore I have no time steps. I cannot make a time series plot (is it possible with a steady state model?); in the dialog the boxes for scalar and vector datasets are empty and I am not able to choose velocity and water depth as vector and scalar datasets, respectively.

How do I compare the discharge through different observation arcs in a steady state model?

Kind regards,

Fredrik

In the observation coverage, double click on your observation arc. This will bring up the observation arc properties. In the top right of the dialog, select arcs as the object type. In the top spreadsheet, create a measurement with the datasets for depth and velocity. At this point, the bottom spreadsheet should show the computed value for this arc from these datasets.

Hi!

I am having difficulties to evaluate and plot the discharge (flux) over an observation arc. The model I'm using is steady state, and therefore I have no time steps. I cannot make a time series plot (is it possible with a steady state model?); in the dialog the boxes for scalar and vector datasets are empty and I am not able to choose velocity and water depth as vector and scalar datasets, respectively.

How do I compare the discharge through different observation arcs in a steady state model?

Kind regards,

Fredrik