GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Regional to Local Model Conversion with Transient Head BC

caltare

I'm trying to do a regional to local model conversion with a transient MODFLOW simulation. What is the easiest way how to convert the transient heads in the regional model to a time-varying constant head boundary for the local model?

This is a relatively easy task in Groundwater Vistas (TMR), but I'm new-ish to GMS and can't figure out an easy way to do it. The best I can figure is to define a bunch of observation wells in the regional model at the locations where I want to have time-varying constant head nodes for the local model. Then run the regional model, export the observed heads at those observation wells, and then import the data to the local model as node data to build the time-varying constant head boundary. Will that work and is there an easier way to do it?

I have looked at the Regional to Local tutorial file, but that doesn't address the question above. If anyone has any insights I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by caltare

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if there is an alternative, but I've used the observation well approach that you describe in the past. You simply need to have nodes in the local model that correspond to the observation well points in the regional model. You can then transfer the transient observations to the nodes in the specified head boundaries.

I'd be interested to know if you've found an alternative.

• 8 months later...