GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Working with large datasets, GIS, and SMS

Chris Blount

I'm relatively new at using ArcGIS so I'm not sure how to do all of the data manipulation, file conversions, etc. However, I'm going to be using pretty large datasets for topography, landcover, etc. for an ADCIRC grid. So how do I go about interpolating the data onto the mesh? For example, I have 90 m topo in GRID format which I can open in SMS when I enable ArcObjects, but how do I actually interpolate it to the mesh? I've also tried creating a TIN from the mesh to use in ArcMap, but it doesn't recognize the file.

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

Chris,

To interpolate to a mesh, once you've read in the file you will need to convert it in SMS to be a scatter set. You may need to first convert it to feature objects and then to scatter, using the arc node and vertex elevations as the scatter point z value source.

Chris,

To interpolate to a mesh, once you've read in the file you will need to convert it in SMS to be a scatter set. You may need to first convert it to feature objects and then to scatter, using the arc node and vertex elevations as the scatter point z value source.

John,

My raster is going to be too big to load as a scatter into SMS. I'm not really wanting to filter the data because my grid and raster resolutions will be comparable. So I'm thinking I'll have to work with this in ArcGIS. Is there a more direct way of doing this other than converting the grid to scatter, importing to ArcGIS, extracting the raster to those points, and then importing the points back into SMS?

Also, when using the "existing nodes" option for paving, does that just reinterpolate the elevation?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but if you use a 64-bit version of SMS you won't be as limited as a 32-bit version. This requires that you have a 64-bit OS.

John,

My raster is going to be too big to load as a scatter into SMS. I'm not really wanting to filter the data because my grid and raster resolutions will be comparable. So I'm thinking I'll have to work with this in ArcGIS. Is there a more direct way of doing this other than converting the grid to scatter, importing to ArcGIS, extracting the raster to those points, and then importing the points back into SMS?

Also, when using the "existing nodes" option for paving, does that just reinterpolate the elevation?

Thanks,

Chris