GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Surface Area / Depth Relationship

Nick Yates

Would an automated tool for creating surface area / elevation or volume / elevation plots in SMS be useful to you?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would an automated tool for creating surface area / elevation or volume / elevation plots in SMS be useful to you?

• Very Useful - I would use this tool frequently
    • Useful - I would use this tool occasionaly
    • Not Useful - I would not use this tool

I am trying to derive a surface area / elevation relationship for part of a much larger mesh.

I have an existing grid with associated bathymetry information.

Could you please advise as to how I can do this in SMS? - I am a new to SMS, and have diligently plowed through the tutorials, but can't find anything that looks like what I am trying to do.

[ The problem I am trying to solve is this - we have a mesh defined, within which we have coastal estuaries. We know barrage lines within these estuaries, and I want to know how the area of the estuary varies with elevation behind these lines ]

All help gratefully received.

Thanks,

Nick Yates

Nick,

Although there is currently no automated way of doing this, you could use the following steps:

1. Right click on the Mesh item in the project explorer and select "Convert | Mesh -> Map
  2. Select "Mesh Contours -> Arcs" and the elevation you are interested in
  3. Switch to the map module, close off the created arcs into a polygon if needed
  4. Select the menu command "Feature Objects | Build Polygons"
  5. Select the polygon using the select polygon tool
  6. The menu command "File | Info Options" can be used to echo the information to a file, echo window, or the standard is just to display it at the bottom of the SMS window