GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Femwater Materials Error

Rob Virtue

There appears to be a bug with FEMWATER Materials. While I am able to create and rename new materials in a FEMWATER model, the material properties are not saving. They always revert to the default K values of 0.03, 0.03, 0.01 and moisture curves are lost. MODFLOW material properties are saved without any problems.

I have also tried this with the FEMWATER tutorial problem. If I edit the existing materials, the new properties save OK, but the properties of any newly-created materials keep reverting to the default values when the model is re-opened.

I received the reply below from tech support on Friday (Utah Time). While it solves the problem (sort of) if you are modelling saturated flow, it does not appear to solve the problem if you are modelling unsaturated flow, with soil curves derived from Van Genuchten parameters. Hopefully there will be more progress this week. Presumably, anyone who has been FEMWATER modelling for the past upgrade or two is happy using 0.03 L/t (the default) for their hydraulic conductivity.

"Robert,

Robert I was able to reproduce your bug.  I was also able to make a work around.  In order to get your conductivity values to save follow the following steps:

1. Look in your saved femwater files and open the .3bc file

2. Do a search for MP2  (According to the Femwater manual MP2 is the card where the conductivity or Permeability values are saved)

3. Press enter under your MP2 line and type the new values for the new material you want to create the line should look like the example here.  MP2   3 5.0 5.0 5.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.55 1.0  (You can see that the first number or the three corresponds to what material you are ussing and the 5.0 are the different conductivity values)

If you follow these steps you should be able to get around this bug.  We will work on seeing if we can get GMS recompiled for you.  Have a great day

Regards,

Nathan Cerny

XMS Technical Support

(801) 691-5530

support@aquaveo.com"

• 2 months later...

There appears to be a bug with FEMWATER Materials. While I am able to create and rename new materials in a FEMWATER model, the material properties are not saving. They always revert to the default K values of 0.03, 0.03, 0.01 and moisture curves are lost. MODFLOW material properties are saved without any problems.

I have also tried this with the FEMWATER tutorial problem. If I edit the existing materials, the new properties save OK, but the properties of any newly-created materials keep reverting to the default values when the model is re-opened.

I recently encountered a very similar problem in GMS version 5.1, so the bug has apparently been with GMS for a long while. What I found with ver. 5.1 is that material properties revert to the default unless that material is assigned to a mesh cell before saving. Materials that have been assigned retain their settings, while all others revert to the default values when the file is reopened. Curiously, it is the reopening of the file that seems to obliterate the values of unassigned materials, because I've discovered that they were saved in the original .bc file.