GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Transient Polygon Data (Recharge)

Mick

Hello,

Iam currently working on a reasonably sized model in GMS, and experiencing difficulties when it comes time to map the transient recharge model.

I have had success working on a very similar model, which had 949 polygons assigned in a recharge coverage and 45 stress periods, which meant that my recharge text file (which was assigned to the transient polygon data set) was approximately 42705 lines in length.

My subsequent model consists of 1163 polygons and 45 stress periods, which makes the transient recharge text file about 52335 lines in length.

I have found that I can get the transient data into the model (ie imported) but once that has been done, then the coverage can not be mapped, or the .gpr saved. I’m wondering whether GMS has an internal limitation to the number of polygons, or size of transient data set which can be worked with, both in theory and practically?

I have tried the same process on a couple of different computers (core 2 duos) with the same result. Any help you may be able to offer would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Mick

Hello,

Iam currently working on a reasonably sized model in GMS, and experiencing difficulties when it comes time to map the transient recharge model.

I have had success working on a very similar model, which had 949 polygons assigned in a recharge coverage and 45 stress periods, which meant that my recharge text file (which was assigned to the transient polygon data set) was approximately 42705 lines in length.

My subsequent model consists of 1163 polygons and 45 stress periods, which makes the transient recharge text file about 52335 lines in length.

I have found that I can get the transient data into the model (ie imported) but once that has been done, then the coverage can not be mapped, or the .gpr saved. I’m wondering whether GMS has an internal limitation to the number of polygons, or size of transient data set which can be worked with, both in theory and practically?

I have tried the same process on a couple of different computers (core 2 duos) with the same result. Any help you may be able to offer would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Mick

GMS generally does not have hard limits on this sort of data. The amount of memory you have and the processing speed are the limiting factors.

With GMS 7.0 we've made some improvements on dealing with large transient models. We do a better job at caching and have reduced the memory requirements. You might give version 7.0 beta a try. Be advised that GMS 7.0 is still in beta and we recommend using it only for experimentation purposes at this point. Keep a backup of all your files.