GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Observation wells transient data

Laura Rod

I have a shapefile with 100 wells, some of them have 1, 2, 3, or 10 observations. The observation wells with several observations are duplicated, but the date and the head are different. I tried to upload the observation wells to my conceptual model, but the coverage attributes don't have an option to set several observations for one well when you have a compiled observation file. The user manual shows the option of importing transient data for only one well, but it is impractical if I have 100 wells. Is there any way to import one file with all the observations into my conceptual model?

Hmmm...a good question - I haven't pulled in multiple transient observations for a while, so I don't recall if it was just for a few wells (not that hard to deal with), or if GMS has improved things to pull in many locations all at once.  A big part of the problem is that transient data often needs some manipulation to match what GMS needs (both a start and finish date/time for an observation).  What you could try is entering a few data points for 2 or 3 locations and then seeing if you can export the data for those locations at the same time (not sure if you can or not, but I'm brainstorming here).  Then see if you can pull that file back in.  If that works, you would set up your larger data set in the format of the test file.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sean Czarniecki said:

Hmmm...a good question - I haven't pulled in multiple transient observations for a while, so I don't recall if it was just for a few wells (not that hard to deal with), or if GMS has improved things to pull in many locations all at once.  A big part of the problem is that transient data often needs some manipulation to match what GMS needs (both a start and finish date/time for an observation).  What you could try is entering a few data points for 2 or 3 locations and then seeing if you can export the data for those locations at the same time (not sure if you can or not, but I'm brainstorming here).  Then see if you can pull that file back in.  If that works, you would set up your larger data set in the format of the test file.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried that but it didn't work. I attached the shapefile I used to set the obs wells and the exported shapefile from GMS; It is exporting only the location of the wells and the heads are all added in a single cell. Someone will have an all-nighter :(

ObsWellsTest.jpg

Edited by Laura Rod
Forgot a comment