GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Bugs in GMS vis FEMWATER Transport Model

woodward

I am trying to run a contaminant transport simulation using GSM:FEMWATER. I am getting several bugs.

First, I set up a steady state flow model and ran that. All fine. Although I notice that GMS doesn't save and reload several simulation options properly (name of existing geometry file to use, geometry titles, parameters in van Genuchten curve generator).

Then I created a transient transport only model. I copied the (ascii) geometry (3dm) and pressure head (phd) files from my flow solution into the same folder as the transport model super (fws) file. I defined a cold start with initial concentration 0 everywhere, and using my steady state ascii phd file from the flow model solution. FEMWATER iterates and converges fine, but when I plot the solution (con) it looks like I am only getting dispersion, and no advection. I am guessing there is a bug with how it imports and uses the pressure heads from my flow solution.

I have also tried a coupled flow and transport model, and I get the same results.

Has anyone out there successfully run a FEMWATER Transport model?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying to run a contaminant transport simulation using GSM:FEMWATER. I am getting several bugs.

First, I set up a steady state flow model and ran that. All fine. Although I notice that GMS doesn't save and reload several simulation options properly (name of existing geometry file to use, geometry titles, parameters in van Genuchten curve generator).

Then I created a transient transport only model. I copied the (ascii) geometry (3dm) and pressure head (phd) files from my flow solution into the same folder as the transport model super (fws) file. I defined a cold start with initial concentration 0 everywhere, and using my steady state ascii phd file from the flow model solution. FEMWATER iterates and converges fine, but when I plot the solution (con) it looks like I am only getting dispersion, and no advection. I am guessing there is a bug with how it imports and uses the pressure heads from my flow solution.

I have also tried a coupled flow and transport model, and I get the same results.

Has anyone out there successfully run a FEMWATER Transport model?

We'd be very interested in finding and fixing any bugs in GMS regarding the FEMWATER interface. If you can send us your files and the steps to reproduce the problems, that would be very helpful. Please contact Tech Support at support@aquaveo.com or (801) 691-5530.