GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Loading .dwg files

krobinson

I am a new user of SMS 10.

I am not sure what I need to have in my dwg file to make sure that SMS can read it. Currently when I try to open a .dwg file with basic layers (contours) it immediately crashes with no error messages.

Is there a standard I should be following for the .dwg file or a procedure I am missing when trying to load this file?

Thanks

Kerri

PS: I tried to upload the file but it said I am not allowed to upload that type of file.

Kerri,

There are a few other users who have experienced this same problem. We have not yet been able to find a solution, since we have not successfully reproduced the problem here at XMS Tech Support. It would help us identify the problem if you could send us your computer information (processor type, video card, display drivers, etc) in Control Panel | System. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you.

You might want to check that you are using the latest build (version) of SMS 10.0. The latest version is 2/10/2009. If yours is older, you may download and install the update at aquaveo.com. It is on the right hand side under "Software Updates". The link is called "SMS 10.0 Software Update

- 2/10/09 37 MB". This may or may not solve the problem.

Regards,

Todd

XMS Technical Support

(801) 691-5530

support@aquaveo.com

I am not sure what I need to have in my dwg file to make sure that SMS can read it. Currently when I try to open a .dwg file with basic layers (contours) it immediately crashes with no error messages.

Is there a standard I should be following for the .dwg file or a procedure I am missing when trying to load this file?

Thanks

Kerri

PS: I tried to upload the file but it said I am not allowed to upload that type of file.

Hi Todd,

I am using the latest SMS build (SMS 10.0.11 Feb 10, 2009).

My computer information is as follows:

System: Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

IntelĀ® Xeon CPU 3.20 GHz 2.00GB Ram

DirectX version 9.0c

Display: Quadro NVS 280 PCI-E (NVIDIA; ForeceWare version: 169.21; Memory: 64 MB; Video BIOS version: 4.34.20.79.08; IRQ: 16; Bus: PCI Express x16)

If there is any other information you think would be helpful, please let me know and I will provide it.

In the meantime, is there a way I can import a points file and automatically rebuild those arcs? It is going to take a really long time to do it manually.

Thanks,

Kerri

Kerri,

There are a few other users who have experienced this same problem. We have not yet been able to find a solution, since we have not successfully reproduced the problem here at XMS Tech Support. It would help us identify the problem if you could send us your computer information (processor type, video card, display drivers, etc) in Control Panel | System. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you.

You might want to check that you are using the latest build (version) of SMS 10.0. The latest version is 2/10/2009. If yours is older, you may download and install the update at aquaveo.com. It is on the right hand side under "Software Updates". The link is called "SMS 10.0 Software Update

- 2/10/09 37 MB". This may or may not solve the problem.

Regards,

Todd

XMS Technical Support

(801) 691-5530

support@aquaveo.com

I am pretty sure that you have already tried this, but I solved this problem simply saving the dwg in format 2000 or 2004. If not, try saving a dxf on that versions.

Hope this can fix your problem.

Best regards,

Jose

Thanks

Kerri

I ended converting the contours to a shapefile and that worked well.

Luckily I had that option!

I am pretty sure that you have already tried this, but I solved this problem simply saving the dwg in format 2000 or 2004. If not, try saving a dxf on that versions.

Hope this can fix your problem.

Best regards,

Jose

Jose,

If you still have the files that were causing the crash, please contact technical support and let them know John requested you send in the files. I would like to try reproduce the crash to see if I can fix it.

- John