GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

coverages

Michael

Hi, I`m Michael. Currently I`m employed as an student assistant by a groundwater research company.

Well now my question. I`ve created a model with a special well coverage. I want to use right this well

coverage with another model. Is it possible to move it? I`ve only found a way to export the coverage in a .shp file

and to convert this .shp to 2D scatter points in the new model. But... how can I assign it as a well setup in the new model???

Thank you so far

Michael

In the text file import wizard you can select the type of data you are importing, including well or observation data. You don't have to import it as 2D Scatter Data. There is documentation on the GMS wiki at http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/GMS:Text_Import_Wizard

Does that help?

O sorry. I don't know anything about shape files (something to do with GIS right?) but the GMS wiki has this to say - it looks like you can import them as Feature Objects, which would include wells I think.

http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/GMS:Importing/E...ting_Shapefiles

I just tried something with a coverage of 17 wells - you might be able to do something like this. I opened up the Attribute Table of the well coverage, clicked on Show Point Coordinates, clicked in the top left corner of the table (so that everything is selected), and then hit Ctrl-c to copy it to the computer clipboard. I then created a new well coverage (which you can do in your new model), opened up the Attribute Table, added 17 new points, clicked on Show Point Coordinates, clicked in the top left corner of the table, and hit Ctrl-v to paste the information into the new table. That worked very well, but if you have a lot of data, you might be better off with the option below.

You can also just go into Excel and paste the information there, set it up in the right format for importing well data, and go that route.

@ all

thank you for your effort. I figured out GMS is basically able to import shape files (exported well files for instance). All I had to do ist to create a new well coverage BUT what I had previously to do is to create a new conseptual model. That`s the point where you can assign the well option. All coverages which now created under this mconceptiual model are well coverages. After doing that it is possible to convert the imported shp file to coverage by using the active point under the Grid menu. That`s it. All you have to do is to know it :-)

The easiest way to move data around in GMS projects is to do the following.

1. Open the project with your well coverage.

2. Delete everything in the project except for the well coverage.

3. Save the project under a new name ("well.gpr")

4. Select the File | New command

5. Open the other project where you want the well coverage

6. Open the well.gpr file and TURN ON the "Import into current project" toggle near the bottom of the dialog.

This should read the well coverage into the second project.