GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

How to import conceptual model boundary points

woodward

I am trying to set up a conceptual model for FEMWATER.

The site boundary is defined by a series of (non-pumping) wells which I am going to use as specified heads for a steady state or transient model.

(I have other wells that I will use as observation points to compare the model head predictions.)

I have the well XY coordinates in a text file and I want to import them into GMS as a basis for the conceptual model.

I can import the well locations as "Observation Data" using the text import wizard, and I can then join them with arcs and form polygons and a mesh etc, but because they are "observations" (i.e. points, not nodes) I cannot specify head bcs on them.

Alternatively, I can import the well locations as "2D Scatter Data" but then I can't convert them to nodes in the conceptual model. I can of course manually create nodes that overlie them but that is laborious and inaccurate.

So how are you supposed to do it? All the examples I have seen start with an imported map of the site and then sketch the site boundaries freehand, but this is not appropriate for my application.

By the way, I find that GMS6.5 hangs when I am in the "Points" properties spreadsheet and then select "Nodes" when there aren't any nodes.

Thanks for your help.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes but I want to convert them to Nodes in the conceptual model, and I can't find out how to do that.

• 4 weeks later...
I am trying to set up a conceptual model for FEMWATER.

The site boundary is defined by a series of (non-pumping) wells which I am going to use as specified heads for a steady state or transient model.

(I have other wells that I will use as observation points to compare the model head predictions.)

I have the well XY coordinates in a text file and I want to import them into GMS as a basis for the conceptual model.

I can import the well locations as "Observation Data" using the text import wizard, and I can then join them with arcs and form polygons and a mesh etc, but because they are "observations" (i.e. points, not nodes) I cannot specify head bcs on them.

I created a FEMWATER conceptual model with one coverage. Then I imported a text file containing XY point locations. I imported them as "Well data" and they came in as Points in the coverage. I then connected them with arcs and made the arcs "spec. head" arcs. Then I assigned head values at the nodes.

By the way, I find that GMS6.5 hangs when I am in the "Points" properties spreadsheet and then select "Nodes" when there aren't any nodes.

I reproduced this bug and reported it.

OK thanks I will try again.

Yes that works. Great thanks.

Edited by woodward