GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Printing in GMS

asienviro

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with output. GMS doesn't seem to have a good way to import a template for final printing...am I missing something? Additionally, if I save as (bmp, tiff, etc) ... I lose quality when I print from that program (being AutoCAD, Word, Publisher, etc). Any suggestions on the best way to print out with a template and keep the quality. Right now I am printing from GMS and reprinting the same page from AutoCAD ... there has to be a bette way!!!

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with output. GMS doesn't seem to have a good way to import a template for final printing...am I missing something? Additionally, if I save as (bmp, tiff, etc) ... I lose quality when I print from that program (being AutoCAD, Word, Publisher, etc). Any suggestions on the best way to print out with a template and keep the quality. Right now I am printing from GMS and reprinting the same page from AutoCAD ... there has to be a bette way!!!

GMS 6.5 does not seem to have template importing features. The next version of one of our other software (SMS 10.1) will, however. For example, you will be able to import a company logo and then when you take a screen shot you will always be able to see that logo in the image. I am not sure if GMS is also planning on adding these features in the future.

For image quality, you can increase the image resolution by going to Edit | Screen Capture and then in the dialog that appears, increase the Bitmap scale factor. If you type in a value of 2, this should double the resolution.

When you say "import a template for final printing" - are you suggesting a "template" file that would specify window bounds, display options, etc? Could you provide some more details on what the template is - does a different piece of software you work with use templates?

Thanks,

- John

• 1 month later...

You don't really want to print from GMS. The plots come out pretty bad, on the rare occasion that they come out at all. Typically all you get is a blank piece of paper. The only way to get decent plots is to convert the data to autocad and then import the autocad file into ArcView, then format and print from there. That works well for us. Keeping it in autocad and formatting it in Autocad might work as well.