GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

problem exporting Shapefile

Guest hydrocrat1

Guest hydrocrat1

Has anyone had a problem with the Name field of a coverage attribute table being truncated to 8 characters upon exporting a shapefile? I've tried multiple times, reseting the "Float Field" width and number of decimals, with no success. The names for my arcs are truncated to 8 characters when I open the file in ArcMap. I opened the *.dbf file with Excel and found same issue. Maybe this is a bug(?) Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Has anyone had a problem with the Name field of a coverage attribute table being truncated to 8 characters upon exporting a shapefile? I've tried multiple times, reseting the "Float Field" width and number of decimals, with no success. The names for my arcs are truncated to 8 characters when I open the file in ArcMap. I opened the *.dbf file with Excel and found same issue. Maybe this is a bug(?) Thanks!

Yes, there is a size limit to how many characters (8) you can name your points, arcs, and polygons. I believe this is due to a limitation with the shapefile format (storing attributes in a table). I think you can create an alias and this might solve the name problem but I have never done this.