GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Stream Package

Hilaa

Hi all,

I'm using stream package for the first time, and the simulation is repeatedly crashing because stream slope is negative. 

Although al elevations (top and bottom) in the map module are decreasing steadily, The STR Modflow package I see that elevations of several cells are somehow calculated as increasing, and the slope becomes negative - see example below.

How can I fix it ?

Thanks,

Hila

image.png.7809ec124b15ed838070b965289e68b8.png

I usually use the STR2 package, so I had to look up what may be happening to you.  When I looked up the STR workflow in the GMS wiki page, it showed me that you may have your arc direction going the wrong way (who knew?).  Under display options, you can turn on arc direction arrows (at least in the latest build of GMS).  To change the direction, select the arc with the problem and right mouse click on it.  There will be an option to change the arc direction.

Sean,

Thanks for your reply.

The direction arrows are all correct. I guess it is a problem of elevations. The natural slopes in my model area are very gentle.

Do you define the stream nodes top elevation as the top of the the grid cell ?

and the bottom elevation of the stream ?

Hila

My understanding is that Top is the top of the stream bed and Bottom is the bottom of the stream bed.  So typically, you know the Top of the stream bed.  Then, you will often estimate the thickness of the stream bed (unless you have field measurements) and can subtract that thickness from the Top to put in the bottom value.