GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

MODFLOW USG and EVT not working properly

mgozdor

I am trying to use the EVT package with my transient MODFLOW USG model.  Layer 1 represents some closed landfills only and then pinches out.  Layer 2 represents the material below ground surface at the rest of the Site.  EVT is only being applied to layer 1 (the landfill) and not layer 2 even though layer 2 is also the uppermost model cell where the landfill doesn’t exist.  It does not matter which option I use to identify where evapotranspiration will occur (I.e. NEVTOP can be set at 1, 2, or 3 and this will still occur).  Any suggestion on how to get EVT to work? 

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh....I *might* have come up with the answer.  I recall something like this happening in the past for a transient run.  I think the first stress period was okay, but then the rest weren't.  You know how we use the box to check off using the previous stress period?  I think that you might look at the button for "Edit All Use Previous" in the ET dialog box.  If you see that they aren't all "1", then you may have some stress periods where you didn't enter data and it sees no ET.  Look into that.  Curious - what version are you using?  I think I brought this issue up in the past, but I'm not sure it is fully corrected.

• 1 month later...

Just realized I never replied, but it is a bug with GMS.  Apparently, you cant use the EVT package if there are areas where your mode layers crop out.  For example, my layer 1 only exists in part of the model domain.  If you are trying to use USG and EVT in GMS it just wont assign the bondary condition.  The developers are looking at it, but it hasn't been fixed yet to my knowledge.