GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Gridding Problems

walkington

Hi,

I have been trying to generate a grid using the adaptive paving option. I have had it work for small regions but every time I run it for the Irish Sea region, which covers a region of about 358 million sq km it seems to hang and do nothing. How long should I sit and wait for it to run? Why does the program hang and not update the little progress bar? I am running a 2GHz Dual Core (I know it is only using one) machine. When I use the non-adaptive methods then the results are obtained quickly but I have yet to get one out of these adaptive methods. Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks

Ian

PS Technically this might be in the wrong section. Ooops.

Edited by walkington

I assume you are running ADCIRC. The most likely problem is that you are trying to generate to many elements.

It would be a good idea to set truncation values that will limit the number of elements to a reasonable amount. I would start with a size function that would generate no more than about 100,000 elements.

I think in your case a truncation value of about 30,000 m will give a maximum of 100,000 elements.

Average element size = (358 million sq km/100,000 elements)

Truncation = SquareRoot(AverageElementSize)*0.5

I realize that this will not give you the refinement that you are looking for in some regions. However, this will show if the problem is related to the number of elements being generated. If this works, you may need to adjust your size function to generate fewer elements (you could lower your truncation value at this point). In the end, you probably want a mesh with viewer than 1 million elements. There have been larger meshes run with ADCIRC but it is often unnecessary.

If increasing the truncation value does not fix the problem, you should contact technical support at support@aquaveo.com.

Hi,

I have been trying to generate a grid using the adaptive paving option. I have had it work for small regions but every time I run it for the Irish Sea region, which covers a region of about 358 million sq km it seems to hang and do nothing. How long should I sit and wait for it to run? Why does the program hang and not update the little progress bar? I am running a 2GHz Dual Core (I know it is only using one) machine. When I use the non-adaptive methods then the results are obtained quickly but I have yet to get one out of these adaptive methods. Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks

Ian

PS Technically this might be in the wrong section. Ooops.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It was indeed that there were far far too many elements. I have now managed to generate a grid, although getting a stable grid, with the required resolution, is proving slightly harder. Finally, it would seem that the sms program doesn't like the windows multitasking approach. If any other program is accessed while sms is running sms will refuse to further update the screen until it has finnished doing whatever it was doing. This is slightly annoying, especially if it is taking a long time to generate a grid and you have no idea how long it will take. Is there no way to get sms to update the screen even if another program has interupted in between? It would just save a lot of worrying about how long and if it will finnish:)

Thanks

Ian

Finally, it would seem that the sms program doesn't like the windows multitasking approach. If any other program is accessed while sms is running sms will refuse to further update the screen until it has finnished doing whatever it was doing. This is slightly annoying, especially if it is taking a long time to generate a grid and you have no idea how long it will take. Is there no way to get sms to update the screen even if another program has interupted in between? It would just save a lot of worrying about how long and if it will finnish:)

I noticed the same problem and spent a few days in the guts of our program trying to find a fix for this problem. Everything works fine in debug but not when we create a release executable. I have noticed similar problems with other windows programs. I'm afraid a fix may require a fairly significant overhaul of how we deal with threads and not sure when this will be able to happen. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 4 weeks later...