GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

minimal solid extent

Nao

Hi,

how can one indicate to gms the minimal extent of one solid/layer ?

i am following the horizons->solid approach, and top solids don't occupy all the space I know they should (geological map). I would like to take into account this information without adding too much "control" borehole data.

any help is welcome !

Hi,

how can one indicate to gms the minimal extent of one solid/layer ?

i am following the horizons->solid approach, and top solids don't occupy all the space I know they should (geological map). I would like to take into account this information without adding too much "control" borehole data.

any help is welcome !

You can supplement your borehole data with a horizons conceptual model and with TINs. I personally like using TINs because then I can look at the surfaces before I make solids out of them. Look through the stratigraphy modeling tutorials for examples at this site:

http://www.xmswiki.com/wiki/index.php5?title=GMS:Tutorials

In particular look at

Stratigraphy Modeling - Horizons, TINs and Meshes

Stratigraphy Modeling - Horizon Coverages

Nao,

When I create solids, I use both cross-sections and boreholes, as well as tins.....all at once. As you are stepping through the horizons->solids process, you will see that all of these things come into use. If you only want to use some boreholes, but not others (same with cross-sections), split them up into different folders and only select the ones you want to use. Create tins to define extents....and/or create a coverage which limits specific horizons (this is all discussed in the Stratigraphy Modeling help mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sean,

but there's something that I still didn't understood.

The stratigraphy modeling help does shows how to use boreholes, cross sections and tins to make the solids.

but I still have got the same problem : some layers does not extend as much as I would like them to. With coverage, you can limit the extent of specific horizons. But is it possible to specify a minimal extent ?

In practical terms : I would like one solid A to extend over a given area :

• The limit of this area is specified in TIN horizon data and in the conceptual model data.
  • There are borehole data in and outside of this area, and cross sections linking boreholes in and outside this area.

The Horizons=>Solid command produces spots of A at borehole sites and along cross sections. Adding points on the cross section or refining the mesh does not help. So it seems that GMS really does not want to put solid A at that place. The problem must come from my own data. What can it be ? Any idea ?

Without taking time to sit and play with the data, I can't say what the best approach would be to get your solid to extend a minimal distance. It sounds more like other solids are dominating the interpolation in those areas. Perhaps attempting to limit those solids would allow your solid "A" to increase in size.

I know that you didn't want to put in too much "control" borehole data, but that is an easy way to test/see if you can at least adjust that extent in some areas. If you can't adjust it with those control boreholes, something else is dominating your interpolation. Turning off use of TINs or cross-sections to see which one is dominant may be an approach to try.