GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

2D Mesh from Scatter for Simulation?

fcernst111

I can't seem to be able to link a 2D Mesh that was directly converted from a Scatter (right-click) to a Simulation. I can only seem to link a 2D Mesh that is created from a Mesh Generator coverage. 

Is there anyway to get the mesh created directly from the Scatter to link up to a Simulation? The Scatter is from a XML file created from Civil 3D, and duplicates exactly the Civil 3D triangulation of the road surfaces... The mesh from the Mesh Generator does not.

If we can't link a mesh that was directly converted from a Scatter, what would be the purpose of the directly converted mesh?

Could be a couple things. What type of model are you running? Is that the type of mesh you created? You might need to change the mesh to be used in that type of model, that is my initial guess. You could also convert the scatter to a map coverage and set that to mesh gen type. That could be one work around. There could be other ways, but you need to provide more information. Also, Your XML file might not make a very good numerical model mesh.

I'm creating a fairly simple SRH-2D model simulation with a small inflow hydrograph and Exit-normal flow for boundary conditions. I am right-clicking on the Scatter that came from the XML and Convert>Scatter->2D Mesh. 

Then I don't have an option to link that mesh to the simulation... Only meshes created from mesh generation coverages have I been able to link to simulations.

Edited by fcernst111

I think you may be right about the XML not necessarily making a good mesh. I'm having success bringing in some breaklines from Civil 3D into the mesh converage for the roadway, then generating the mesh using the XML Scatter. As long as the breakines are not too close together I'm finding. I'm getting good road crown definition and contouring now.

Thanks!