GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Watershed Delineation

Bozorg

Hello

I have a digitized sub-watershed boundaries layer that I'd like to import & use in WMS. How WMS may be forced to use it in lieu of its own watershed delineation routine. I'm using WMS_7.1.

Thank you.

Bozorg

Bozorg,

What program did you use to digitize the sub-watershed boundaries?

Regards,

Clark

Bozorg,

What program did you use to digitize the sub-watershed boundaries?

Regards,

Clark

Hi Clark;

Thanks for your attention. The dwg file passed to me was created using AutoCAD_2004. It's simply read into the WMS but I don't know how to force WMS to accept it as the subbasins boudaries on my coarse DEM (90m DEM,SRTM).

Bozorg

To get WMS to accept your sub-basin boundaries, you have to make sure your boundary forms a closed polygon in the map module (in a drainage coverage) and that your polygon is built. Make sure your drainage coverage is the active coverage and that your drainage polygon attribute is set to "Drainage Boundary". After you do this, read your DEM, compute the flow directions and accumulations on the DEM using TOPAZ, and then use TOPAZ to create your streams or digitize your own streams if you want. Then, instead of defining your basins automatically in WMS, use the Polygon Basin IDs->DEM command in the DEM menu (Drainage module) and this will use your polygons to define your basin.

Hope that helps,

Chris

To get WMS to accept your sub-basin boundaries, you have to make sure your boundary forms a closed polygon in the map module (in a drainage coverage) and that your polygon is built. Make sure your drainage coverage is the active coverage and that your drainage polygon attribute is set to "Drainage Boundary". After you do this, read your DEM, compute the flow directions and accumulations on the DEM using TOPAZ, and then use TOPAZ to create your streams or digitize your own streams if you want. Then, instead of defining your basins automatically in WMS, use the Polygon Basin IDs->DEM command in the DEM menu (Drainage module) and this will use your polygons to define your basin.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Hello Chris;

Many thanks for your helpful reply. The procedure works, just as you clarified it : I checked it on a simple sample case. Quite a number of problems with the main digitized CAD file was detected which could not be easily rectified in WMS and thus it was sent back for correction. I'd ask for more help if anything unusual pops out.

Thanks & Regards,

Bozorg