GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

What would it take

pwolfe

Hello, I know next to nothing about this software, but have a client that has been running SMS on a computer that meets the software requirements but apparently is too slow to handle the types of models they are doing. I am told that many of these models include millions of nodes. They are doing SL-15 Grids and 2010 Mesh Grids.

They went to dell and were looking at a dual motherboard, quad-quad core machine with 32 gig of ram. This just seemed like overkill to me. I would like to prepare them a quote for a machine that would exceed their needs, but not break the bank. I'm hoping that a dual cpu with quad cores and 8gig of ram will meet their needs.

Other questions I have are do these calculations stress the cpu or the video cards more? Would Tri-sli cards help them in anyway?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

While we hope to support these in the future, SMS currently does not have a 64-bit version nor does it use multiple processors. It may be that they can use these with the numeric engines incorporated into the SMS package. In any case, I would assume a dual quad-core machine with 8 gigs of RAM should meet their SMS needs quite satisfactorily. In fact, I wish I had that nice of a computer to work on.

Hello, I know next to nothing about this software, but have a client that has been running SMS on a computer that meets the software requirements but apparently is too slow to handle the types of models they are doing. I am told that many of these models include millions of nodes. They are doing SL-15 Grids and 2010 Mesh Grids.

They went to dell and were looking at a dual motherboard, quad-quad core machine with 32 gig of ram. This just seemed like overkill to me. I would like to prepare them a quote for a machine that would exceed their needs, but not break the bank. I'm hoping that a dual cpu with quad cores and 8gig of ram will meet their needs.

Other questions I have are do these calculations stress the cpu or the video cards more? Would Tri-sli cards help them in anyway?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

I'll have to ask them more specific which version of the software they are using, the details I listed above are as defined as they were given to me. I will be on-site tommorrow working on another project and will get with them to see what it is.

Could you guys touch on whether this app is for cpu or gpu intensive?

Edited by pwolfe

Could you guys touch on whether this app is for cpu or gpu intensive?

A brief explanation of what SMS is may help here... SMS is a program used to:

* Create input files for numerical models (pre-processing)

* Display the results of numerical models (post-processing)

Preparing input files can be cpu intensive (such as creating a 2D mesh). The gpu is also used during both of these steps to visualize the area being modeled. OpenGL 1.5 support is required for all display options to be enabled.

After preparing the input files, the model is launched. Running models is cpu intensive. The models do not use the gpu, but do use the cpu heavily.

- John

I'm also interested in getting more information on the optimal system configuration for SMS.

I've had a lot of difficulties working with the coastline in map module recently. I have a high-resolution coastlline which has over 500,000 points/(vertices+nodes). It takes a long time to load the map into SMS and every single step, like zoom in/out, changing operations (from zoom to select nodes etc) can take several minutes. My current computer has dual 3.4GHz CPU, 4G RAM and 256MB ATI Video card. I wonder what resource is limiting the process more?

It seems that in the mesh module I'm able to work with a grid with more than 300,000 nodes, 500,000 elements quite efficiently. I did have to work piece by piece to generate the grid though. So I'm kind of puzzled why it was so slow in the map module to deal with a 500,000-point coastline.

We're currently looking into buying a new computer because of the difficulties we experienced. Would that help with both processes, i.e. working with coastline in map module and mesh generating in mesh module (hopefully working with fewer pieces)? Would dual CPU (3.4GHz) with 8G ram be sufficient for the purpose? What about vedio card?

FYI, we just upgraded the video card in my current PC hoping that it would help with the super slow display problem when working with our high resolution coastline file. Unfortunately, I haven't observed a noticable speedup. Seems that CPU is the bottle neck here. For every single move in SMS, the cpu usage will be maxed out because SMS only run on one processor. In that case, nothing can be done on the users' end because how much faster CPU can get (I have duo 3.4Ghz now)? But I still don't quite get it, why would a simple zoom in/out, or selecting a node/arc would be so CPU demanding? Any hints?