GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

map file format and how to select feature by ID in map module

jiangtao

Jiangtao,

I wonder if there is a way that you can select certain node/arc in map module by their IDs for problem checking?

There is not currently a select by ID feature for map module objects. The ID's can be turned on in the display options (CTRL+D).

Also where can I find the format for map files?

The format of the map files is not published due to its complexity. However, if you create a simple test case and save out the map file you should be able to get an idea of how they are structured for the particular model and items you are interested in.

- John

The format of the map files is not published due to its complexity. However, if you create a simple test case and save out the map file you should be able to get an idea of how they are structured for the particular model and items you are interested in.

Thanks, John.

I actually did what you suggested. The problem is that I didn't figure out all the fields in the file. For example: in the arcs section, I don't know what DISTNODE, NODETYPE, MERGED are and what the values following them mean. And that's only for the generic type. If it's defined as, say adcirc type, there are more fields that I don't have a clue. Is there any document on this?

Thanks,

Jiangtao

Jiangtao,

There is no document describing the map file. What is the problem you are trying to solve by looking into the map file?

- John

Well. I was trying to see if I can convert data between map and other formats, for example, matlab format etc. We have an old program doing that which doesn't work for writing out map file now, I guess because the map file format changed? Any lead would be appreciated.