GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Extremly High Velocity from RMA2

Shawn

Hi everyone,

I am using SMS and RMA2 to simulate flood events. Now I have a problem. The velocity field near the weir (a flux boundary condition) has some extreme values, see the attached picture. The extreme value is about 29 fps, and the velocity for the surrounding nodes is like 2-4 fps. Anybody has experienced a situation similar to this? Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

HighVelocity.pdf

Hi Shawn,

Generally unrealistically high velocities occur when elements are getting close to drying. I'm not sure why this leads to unrealistic results, but it is quite common with models. Since the depth are so low, I often just ignore them and use the contour options in SMS to display the reasonable range of velocities.

Hi everyone,

I am using SMS and RMA2 to simulate flood events. Now I have a problem. The velocity field near the weir (a flux boundary condition) has some extreme values, see the attached picture. The extreme value is about 29 fps, and the velocity for the surrounding nodes is like 2-4 fps. Anybody has experienced a situation similar to this? Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

Thank you for your input, Rusty! Today I found the reason of high velocity. These extreme values occur at the end of node strings (flux boundary condition, weir), where ground elevation is not smooth.

Hi Shawn,

Generally unrealistically high velocities occur when elements are getting close to drying. I'm not sure why this leads to unrealistic results, but it is quite common with models. Since the depth are so low, I often just ignore them and use the contour options in SMS to display the reasonable range of velocities.