GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

hydraulic conductivity of the solids

Rianne

Hi,

For my master thesis I am making a groundwater model to simulated the groundwater flow from a pound to a well. There is already a model of this area but I will make the solids in the interest area in more detail. To avoid influence of the boundary's on the interest area I have made the model larger than the interest area. In the interest area I have made my one layers with the use of drill descriptions. Outside the interest area I have use the layers of the old model. With these two solids I have made a MODFLOW model.

Outside the interest area I want to use a raster data sets for the hydraulic conductivity, for each layers. Inside the interest area I want to give one value for each layer(sand, loam etc.)

The problem is that each layer in the MODFLOW model contains different solid materials. Through this I can't use "use data arrays" because this will coupled the raster data sets to the layers in the MODFLOW model and not to each solid layer.

Is there a way to coupled the data sets of the hydraulic conductivity to the solids?

Thanks in advance

Rianne

Sounds like you are interested in telescopic mesh refinement. LGR is one option or you can use the approach described in the regional to local tutorials here:

http://gmstutorials-10.1.aquaveo.com/MODFLOW-RegionalToLocalSs.pdf
http://gmstutorials-10.1.aquaveo.com/MODFLOW-RegionalToLocalTrans.pdf

You would be able to run MODPATH on a model produced using this approach.