GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

adding alkalinity in PHT3D

Mike Wit

I'm fairly new with both GMS and PHT3D but I've been working with it the past couple of months and experienced several problems. 
I'm modelling managed aquifer recharge where O2 and nutrient (NO3, PO4, SO4) rich water is injected into an anoxic aquifer, resulting into pyrite and organic matter oxidation through the degradation of O2 and NO3. However, oxygen responds strangely under different settings. Most important, whenever I try to add 'alkalinity' the run fails. When I try to add alkalinity through C(4), it 'uses' up all the O2 so that it can form HCO3- and CO32-, which shouldn't occur. 
I was wondering if someone else experienced similar problems and knows how to correctly insert alkalinity (so that it doesn't react with O2). 

-Mike 

I've used the standard PHREEQC database (in PHREEQC you can add alkalinity or C(4) normally, without oxygen being consumed by it). So I'm thinking the problem either lies with PHT3D or with the way GMS interprets it. I've contacted Henning Prommer also, so I'll await his reply.