GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

MODFLOW multi layer: how to change layer properties by polygon coverage

GMS User

I've create a multi layer Modflow model (3 layers) converted from a Solid Model (LPF, material ID).

The idraulic properties are assigned by means of material ID, one for each layer.

a. HK_a  for layer 1
 b. HK_b, for layer 2
 c. HK_c, for layer 3

Now I need the to include a new building with foundations below the ground elevation and above layer 2.
The building foundation has a different HK_d << HK_a, HK_b, HK_c.

I create a new coverage with material properties and layer range. I assign the new HK to the polygon representing the buiding. I try Map to Modflow but when I query the Modflow cells the HK value is not changed.

How can I assign it to cells inside the polygon representing the buiding area?

My workround is to select intersecting cells by polyon and manual assign the material ID.

Thank you

Daniele

Since you are using materials to assign HK you want to change the material in the grid where the new foundation will be. There is an option to assign a material to a polygon in the conceptual model. So you will want to make a new material in the Materials Editor dialog and assign the properties. Then assign this material to your polygon and select Map->MODFLOW. Then you can check that the HK has been assigned to the grid.