GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Exporting Grid Cell Area to Spreadsheet

Sean Czarniecki

I was asked this question by someone and figured it would be good to see what others have done.  There is a MODFLOW grid with variable cell sizes.  The person would like to perform calculations which require use of the individual cell areas.  Is there any way to export the information on cell area to a spreadsheet such that the array is arranged similar to the grid?  Right now, we can open up arrays for specific parameters in GMS like recharge, copy and paste the info into a spreadsheet, and work with the data that way.  It doesn't appear to be possible with cell dimensions/ areas.

I can certainly open up the MODFLOW text files, pull the cell dimension info into Excel, and run a macro to arrange the array, followed by a calculation of cell area, but I would love to know if there is an easier way.

Thanks!

I don't think there's any easy way to do this, but here's an idea, although it probably requires some massaging of the data.

Convert the 3D Grid to a UGrid and save the MODFLOW data. In the DISU file, item 6 is the "Area(NDSLAY)" array. These values should be in the proper order but there may be several per line. Massage those values into one per line, then copy/paste into a 3D Grid dataset (View Values). Then in the recharge or HK layer dialog, do Dataset -> Array and pick your datasets and your values will appear the way you want. If this isn't clear I can go into more detail.

This is kind of a weird work around but I thought of it last night and thought I would share it.

Make some sort of steady state test model out of your current model. Set the recharge to a value of 1.0. Run MODFLOW (you may have to change other things to get it to converge, the modeled heads don't really mean anything). Then read in the solution and convert the CCF to data sets. The recharge data set will be the cell area.