GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

import 3-D lithology model to GMS

mina.88

Hello

I created 3D lithology model(solid model) in Rockwork software and I want to import the 3-D lithology model to GMS. I am asking about exporting all the model to GMS , for building the groundwater flow model of study area, because im working in a alluvial aquifer and i use the technique of "Using Lithologic Modeling Techniques for Aquifer Characterization and Groundwater Flow Modeling",

I exported 3D lithology model to ASCII text format with X , Y , Z, material data. And now my question is can i import this text file to GMS software, if it possible please tell me what is workflow for convert 3D lithology text data to solid model in GMS?

Also i finded a study that its possible to export the composite lithology model as slices.the Article attached.

I don't know how can i import 3D lithology model with text format and what is workflow for convert 3D lithology text data to solid model in GMS?

Please help me

many thanks

4_Using_lithologic_modeling_techniques_for_aquifer_characterization_and_groundwater_flow_modeling_of_the_Sohag_area__Egypt-libre.pdf

Edited by mina.88

GMS can import lots of types of data. The wiki has information on the file formats supported. The format you describe sounds like borehole data, or maybe 2D points describing a surface. Depending on what you have, you can probably import it to GMS using the Text Import Wizard.

GMS can also import CAD data (DXF, DWG). If you have solid volumes in Rockworks and can export those to CAD, you can import the data in GMS and convert the CAD data to GMS solids. Then you can use the solids to build a grid for use with a MODFLOW model. The "Generating Data From Solids" tutorial shows how to do this.

Since I'm not sure what exactly you can export from Rockworks, it's hard to tell you what workflow to use.

Hi Dear Michael

Thank you very much for you'r quick respond.

Rockwork export a RockWorks solid model file to another format, for use in another software application. The following exports are offered:

• ASCII XYZG
  • NOeSYS
  • Slicer Dicer
  • Voxel Analyst
  • ESRI Shape

therefore i exported RockWorks solid model file to ASCII XYZG.The format i describ is 3D point describing solid model.

I know i have to use file import wizard but if it possible let me know what is workflow for convert ASCII XYZG to solid?

Best Regards

Mina

Edited by mina.88

GMS can import lots of types of data. The wiki has information on the file formats supported. The format you describe sounds like borehole data, or maybe 2D points describing a surface. Depending on what you have, you can probably import it to GMS using the Text Import Wizard.

GMS can also import CAD data (DXF, DWG). If you have solid volumes in Rockworks and can export those to CAD, you can import the data in GMS and convert the CAD data to GMS solids. Then you can use the solids to build a grid for use with a MODFLOW model. The "Generating Data From Solids" tutorial shows how to do this.

Since I'm not sure what exactly you can export from Rockworks, it's hard to tell you what workflow to use.

Hi Dear Michael

Thank you very much for you'r quick respond.

Rockwork export a RockWorks solid model file to another format, for use in another software application. The following exports are offered:

• ASCII XYZG
  • NOeSYS
  • Slicer Dicer
  • Voxel Analyst
  • ESRI Shape

therefore i exported RockWorks solid model file to ASCII XYZG.The format i describ is 3D point describing solid model.

I know i have to use file import wizard but if it possible let me know what is workflow for convert ASCII XYZG to solid?

Best Regards

Mina