GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Export MODFLOW-2005

Amir1408

Hi all,

I am willing to export a MODFLOW-2005 file with the format of *.nam in order to import it into another software (ModelMate). I tried to export data through save as dialog under *.nam format but it didn't work and nothing was saved.

Could you please let me know what to do in this case or if there is any other way to save a .nam format of the model?

Thanks,

A MODFLOW model can be exported to text by right clicking on the model in the Project Explorer and selecting "Export Native Mf2k Text." Then in the "Select MODFLOW Name File" dialog that pops up, navigate to the *.mfn file for the model you want to export and click on the Open button. A DOS window will appear that lists each file as it is being exported. When the export is finished it will say "Press the enter key to exit." Then if you navigate into the model folder in Widows Explorer there will be a folder entitled "Out_Mf2k" containing the exported model. The file extension of the name file will end in *.mfn. If you want it to end in *.nam, you can rename it in Windows Explorer. More details can be found at http://www.xmswiki.com/wiki/GMS:Export_Native_MODFLOW_Files at the bottom of the page.

Thank you Bill for your quick response. The only issue is that after exporting the native files I couldn't find any file related to the model parameters (e.g. .pval format) in the "Out_Mf2k" folder. I had to calibrate the model to get that file but only for the calibrated parameters. Is there any way to produce a file containing all model parameters with their corresponding values?

You could maybe try selecting the MODFLOW | Parameters menu item, in the Parameters dialog select "Import Optimal Values," save the project in a different folder, and then run "Export Native Mf2k Text" one the newly saved mode. If it still doesn't save the PVAL file then it's probably an issue Aquaveo tech support (http://www.aquaveo.com/technical-support) would have to troubleshoot.

Another option that will preserve the parameters is to go into the global options and turn on the "Save text copy" option. Then save the project. You will get an _MODFLOW_text folder with the text version of the simulation. This is all demonstrated in this tutorial:

http://gmstutorials-10.0.aquaveo.com/MODFLOW-SaveNativeText.pdf

Alan

The problem with "Save text copy" option or "Export native Mf2k text" is that the PVAL file is not produced. If you follow the tutorial, after creating the mnw1.gpr (page 4), if you run the model with MODFLOW-2005 and turn on the "Save text copy" option, the PVAL file will not be produced in the containing folder.

I tried to define the parameters as calibration targets to produce this file and it worked (as Bill also said). But there should be a way to produce them directly from the model.

If you continue on in the tutorial to step 9 - Reading in the Simulation with Parameters on page 10 and follow the steps you will see that a PVAL file is saved out with the model.

The mnw model used earlier in the tutorial does not have any parameters defined. Thus, no PVAL file is created.

Let me know if you are still having trouble getting a text version of your model with the PVAL file inlcuded.