GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Default text file viewer

mwtoews

I have GMS 10.0, and I recall when I first opened up a text file, for instance a MODFLOW simulation listing file, GMS asked me my preferred text viewing application, with a default to Notepad.exe.

Now I want to change it to a different text viewing program, however I cannot seem to find the setting. I've looked in the Preferences, and even reset to factory defaults, but I don't see where I can modify this.

Any ideas on how to change the default text viewing application?

There is no interface in GMS to reset the editor. There is a way to reset it by going into the windows registry (regedit.exe). Editing the registry is not for the faint of heart. You need to make sure you know what you're doing, have a good backup of everything including the hard drives, registry, etc. An old Windows knowledge base entry gives a warning as follows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-registry-editor#1TC=windows-7):

Registry Editor is a tool intended for advanced users. It's used to view and change settings in the system registry, which contains information about how your computer runs. Windows refers to this information and updates it when you make changes to your computer, such as installing a new program, creating a user profile, or adding new hardware. Registry Editor lets you view registry folders, files, and the settings for each registry file.
Ordinarily, you don't need to make changes to the registry. The registry contains complex system information that's vital to your computer, and an incorrect change to your computer's registry could render your computer inoperable. However, a corrupt registry file might require changes. We strongly recommended that you back up the registry before making any changes and that you only change values in the registry that you understand or have been instructed to change.

It could be reset by deleting the registry entry at Computer\Software\EMRL\GMS\GMS XX.X (YY-bit)\Generals\AskEd where XX.X is the GMS version and YY is the architecture (32 or 64-bit).