GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Ability to set distance unit preferences

mwtoews

When starting a new GMS project, I find that I keep needing to remember to reset metric units. Units such as "ft" are almost exclusively used in the United States, but most other countries use length units of "m". Thus, I find myself frequently going to "Display > Display Projection" and correcting both Horizontal and Vertical units.

Even if I import a spatially referenced file (e.g., with a .prj file) with a projected metric coordinate system (e.g., UTM), it will update the Global projection with metric units, but the vertical projection will still remain as "U.S. Survey Feet".

As I need to repetitively change these units for each new project, it would be of great convenience to have the project default units set in the Preferences dialog, rather than assuming default "ft".

Even further, the "Factory Preferences" used to first populate the Preferences could determine if the computer uses metric units based on the locale, but this would be getting fancy.

Edited by mwtoews

• 2 months later...

This has been implemented in our development code and will be released in GMS 10.1. GMS defaults to meters or feet based on your computers regional settings. Also, a Settings command has been added to the File menu which allows you to save the current settings (display options, units etc) as the defaults for new projects.