GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Importing MODFLOW Model

Bruce Campbell

Hi -- I'm having a problem importing the LAK package into GMS from a set of native MODFLOW files not created by GMS. I have an existing MODFLOW model using a number of packages but there is something about the LAK package that the translator doesn't like. The MODFLOW translator runs to completion but when I click "Done" to close the MODFLOW translator, I get an error message that says "Error reading LAK package". I can take the LAK package out of the *.NAM file and the MODFLOW translator runs fine and the files come into GMS with no problem.

I don't have a *.gpr file in the zipped file.

I've put the files on your FTP site: NC.zip

If you look in the "transient" directory you'll see a the MODFLOW NAM file: NC_trans.nam

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Alan -- Got the files, have it GMS and the model is running fine. Question for you, I would like to georeference the grid to be able to use a good bit of GIS data. I attempted it this morning but went through a long trial and error process using the Edit -> Transform -> Translate command but still didn't have a satisfactory match and something seemed to happen to the files and the model world not run. Started over and looked through the documentation a little closer and found that there used to be a "Coordinate Transformation Wizard" that doesn't seem to be available any more. Wondered if you had any thoughts on this?

When I have done this I will usually figure out the location of the bottom, left corner of the grid in the projection where I want to work and set the value using the properties dialog for the 3D grid (Right click on the 3d grid in the project explorer). Then I adjust the rotation angle as needed to get things to line up, again in the properties dialog of the 3D grid.

Let me know if that does not make sense

Hi Alan -- Me again. I'm working with another USGS modeler and he modified the NC model and sent me a new version. The LAK package does the same thing as before. Is it something I can modify in the LAK input file or can I ask you to redo the translation? If you need to redo, the files will be NC_2.zip on your FTP site. Thanks -- Bruce