GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Telescoping MODFLOW models

RJSS

Hi:

I would like to know if telescoping of MODFLOW models within GMS is possible. I would like to run a transport model using MT3DMS. However the grid will be much finer around the areas of interest for the transport model. Any ideas? Thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi:

I would like to know if telescoping of MODFLOW models within GMS is possible. I would like to run a transport model using MT3DMS. However the grid will be much finer around the areas of interest for the transport model. Any ideas? Thanks

There are two things I think would work.

1) Check the "Refine points" option under Source/Sink/BC Type in coverage setup, and create points where you want the grid to be more refined. Select the points and bring up the Properties dialog box where you can change the base size, bias, and max size options to refine your grid around those points (you have to check the "Refine" box to use these options). The grid will be finer in the viscinity of these points when you use the Map->3D Grid command. This technique is described briefly at http://www.xmswiki.com/index.php?title=GMS...Sink_Attributes and on pp. 11-12 of the MODFLOW - Conceptual Model Approach tutorial found in the GMS tutorial files.

2) You could use a regional to local model conversion as described in the MODFLOW - Regional to Local Model Conversion tutorial, found in the GMS tutorial files. Use the regional model for running MODFLOW and the local model for running MT3DMS.