GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Appending pumping well data

menlim

We have an older model that has X number of pumping wells (transient data).

We want to append the model with addittional wells (not necessarily transient data).

The problem is that with the older model we do not have the original Map Data for the wells. We only have the resulting MAP-TO-MODFLOW generated grid.

How can we append the new well data to the older grid without erasing the older data?

Can we export the older grid data and reimport to the new model in an easy way?

Thanks!

Did you want to use Map->MODFLOW to append the wells?

If it is only a few new wells then you could directly assign those to the grid. Select a grid cell, right click and select the Sources/sinks command, create the well using this dialog.

If you have lots of new wells...You can export the original model to "Native MF2K text". Then use the Map->MODFLOW command with your new wells. Save this out as a different model (called model2.gpr) and then export that model to native text. Combine the two well files into 1 well file. If you are unfamiliar with the well file documentation check here:

http://water.usgs.gov/nrp/gwsoftware/modflow2000/MFDOC/wel.htm

Thanks Alan. How do I combine the 2 well files into 1 well file? The files are broken up into time steps first of all with the pumping data for each well integrated within each time step. It will have to be done in an automated fashion (obviously). Is there a program to do this?

I do not know of any program that does this automatically. I would look at the package documentation and use a text editor to combine the two. Here is a really, really simple example

File 1

5 740 # MXACTW IWELCB

5 0 # ITMP NP

1 1 1 -20 # Layer Row Column Q

3 5 7 -50 # Layer Row Column Q

5 3 8 -10 # Layer Row Column Q

3 8 6 -15 # Layer Row Column Q

1 9 3 -50 # Layer Row Column Q

-1 0 # ITMP NP

File 2

3 740 # MXACTW IWELCB

3 0 # ITMP NP

2 3 1 -20 # Layer Row Column Q

1 2 7 -50 # Layer Row Column Q

8 7 8 -10 # Layer Row Column Q

2 0 # ITMP NP

1 2 7 -20 # Layer Row Column Q

8 7 8 -30 # Layer Row Column Q

Combining the two would give

8 740 # MXACTW IWELCB

8 0 # ITMP NP

1 2 7 -50 # Layer Row Column Q

8 7 8 -10 # Layer Row Column Q

8 0 # ITMP NP

1 2 7 -20 # Layer Row Column Q

8 7 8 -30 # Layer Row Column Q

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help. The way I am going to do this is to enter the new well data one by one into the relevant cells. My question is like this:

In the older model, I go into a particular IJK cell and I see for instance 3 BC's (3 wells) each with its own transient data. Does the IJK cell exist as a summation of all 3 wells (since the command MAP-TO-MODFLOW has previously been run)?

What I mean is, if I now add directly a new 4th well to this cell (using Add BC, and pasting a set of transient data), do I need to run MAP-TO-MODFLOW or is that irrelevant? Remember that there is no seperate Map Data coverage for the new wells. Does anything need to be done to activate the summation of all 4 wells into the single IJK cell?

Thanks, Menachem

You won't need to do Map->MODFLOW as the wells that you are interested in are already created and you are just adding to the wells.

Having said that... if you edit any of the existing wells in a coverage and then do the Map->MODFLOW command you will lose these wells that you are creating because when Map->MODFLOW executes it will delete all wells and then create the wells in that exist in the coverage you are mapping over.