GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Plume concentration variation in GMS

Surajit

Dear members of the forum,

I designed a 2-D transport problem of a confined aquifer with constant head boundaries at the North and South of the model domain and with no flow boundaries at the East and West of the model domain using MT3DMS grid approach in GMS v3.1. I also assigned one injection well at the upstream with a particular rate (100 cubic metre per day) and three pumping wells at the downstream with different rates. After the flow simulation, I assigned a plume concentration value of 100 ppm, but I got the concentration values of individual cells with values much lower than 100 ppm after different transport steps. Near the vicinity of the injection well some values like 18 ppm, 16 ppm, etc. concentration vales were found out after the transport simulation. Is the result correct or should it be near to 100 ppm near the vicinity of the injection well? Please suggest.

In addition the details are 1000 m in X direction and 2000 m in Y direction and 10 m in Z direction. The injection and extraction of water into and from the wells are constant. The concentration of the plume is also injected at constant rate of 100 ppm. The transport length is 1095 days (3years).

I hope these details will help to get the idea about the aquifer would look like.

Regards,

Surajit

Thanks for posting a few more details. I haven't done this for a little while, but I feel like I ran into this at one time as well. While you are injecting at 100 ppm, I'm pretty sure that it gets immediately diluted in the aquifer. I feel like you would have to set the actual cells at a constant or starting concentration to truly start at 100 ppm. (select the cells and set a starting concentration - if you want it constant, the basic package needs a specific flag in the array)