GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Drain Elevation Problem

Hydrology

I have a drain in my model with a specified elevation. When I have used drains previously, the groundwater is drawn down to the specified elevation for those cells that the drain is in. In the model that I am now working on, the groundwater is not being drawn down to the drain elevation, it is 8 to 10 feet higher, and varies across the drain. How can I force the groundwater to be drawn down to the elevation specified by the drain, and is the response that I am seeing correct?

I am using GMS 8.2 64bit in Windows 7.

How big is the conductance compared with the cell size? If the cells are really large then you may need a really large drain conductance if you are simulating a free draining face. The numbers that you have mentioned are quite large but you are getting some response when you increase the value.

The cell size for layer 1, where the drains are, is about 4'x4' and 95' deep. The drain is set to 40' deep. I am using the drain as an easier way to simulate a well. The problem may be the cell depth. In other models I usually have not had a single layer that is this deep.

What is the specified drain elevation compared to the head in the model cell?

The flow out will be calculated as follows:

Q = COND * (DELEV - Hijk) where COND is the drain conductance, Hijk is the head in the cell, and DELEV is the drain elevation.

If you select the cell and go the the MODFLOW | Flow Budget command you should see the calculated flow to the drain.