GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

add SFR observation process in MODFLOW

Todd Wood

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My comment above means that the utility used to do flow calculations is external to MODFLOW and it has the capability to get SFR flows (to/from aquifer [leakage]). I just tried doing this in GMS with a SFR tutorial file and it looks like we don't allow observed flows to be entered (since the other versions of MODFLOW do not support it).

I can add a feature request to enable entry of observed flows with SFR if you like? They would only work with MODFLOW-USG models.

Thanks Alan.  Adding that as a feature request would be great.  Calibrating to aquifer leakage (to/from the SFR2 package) or to river flows directly (or preferably to both) would make a big difference reducing non uniqueness.  And within the GUI makes things so much easier.  We can currently view leakage and river flows from the SFR2 package within GMS (via the CCF and CCF2 output files), so presumably it wouldn't take too much effort to add these as calibration data sets.  The STR package currently permits automated calibration (within GMS) to aquifer leakage.

Within MODFLOW-USG would be fine.  Having said that, I'm having problems mapping the SFR2 package to MODFLOW-USG.  I've emailed support, but they have been very busy recently.