GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Assigning boundary condition into the model

verakurniawan

Hi Jones

I am currently working on the project where I need to analyze the effects of the water velocity in the sea due to the existence of the bridge. I am using numerical model RMA2 with SMS as pre and post processing.

I am sorry for my stupid questions, but I would like to learn how to use RMA2 model as well as SMS to prepare the model and process the RMA2's result.

Unlike the sample model in RMA2 tutorial where it is easy to indicate the inflow and the outflow of the river, I am dealing with a wider water body, ocean. Anybody has suggestion on what boundary condition to assign and where to assign? I attached my simple sketch on the project that I am working on. I hope you could get an idea on my project.

I do have water flowrate and water surface elevation data but I am confused on how to assign these data in my model. What boundary condition to be assigned in the nodestrings? Which one is assigned water flowrate? and which one is assigned water surface elevation? The water is flowing into all direction not like a river you could easily know where the water flows (*for example from west to east) but in ocean, water flows to all direction. Or should we consider the wind direction to decide on how the water flows?

I look forward to hearing from you. And for the others, your suggestion is most welcomed too. Thank you.

Cheers

Vera Kurniawan

Sketch.bmp

Vera,

RMA2 might not be the best model to use in this situation. Have you looked into the coastal circulation models supported by SMS? ADCIRC and CMS Flow are the two that come to mind. There are also some options to couple wave models like STWAVE or CMS Wave to model the interaction of waves and circulation.

Hi Ballard

Thanks for your information. I appreciate it.

The thing is I do not have any choice but to use RMA2 (one of 3 numerical models available) in the SMS package that my company bought 6 years ago. The other two are SED2D and RMA4 which I belive it is even more not suitable for my case.

Any comment on what and where to apply the boundary condition in my case (using RMA2)?

Thanks.

Cheers

Vera Kurniawan