GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

exporting shapefiles into ArcGIS

Do you think you could get your files and the steps you are taking to technical support (support@aquaveo.com)? If so, tell them Rusty requested them.

Hi,

I am having a problem exporting shapefiles. My files save fine, but when I open them in Arc I am missing sections of the mesh that display in the SMS interface. anyone seen this before?

Hi,

I am having a problem exporting shapefiles. My files save fine, but when I open them in Arc I am missing sections of the mesh that display in the SMS interface. anyone seen this before?

KMerriman,

I ran into this issue a couple weeks ago. I was trying to map velocity in ArcMap. I found that some of the polygons were missing. I found that it is just an issue with how the data set contours (velocity mag. for example) were defined in SMS and ArcMap.

So, how you define the contour intervals for the data set in SMS affects how it immediately appears in ArcMap. But you can change the interval settings for the layer in ArcMap to get everything to show. Go to your data layer in ArcMap Right Click -> Properties -> Symbology -> Quantities -> Graduated Colors

Select the appropriate Value under Fields box (example ELEV_AVG)

Under the Classification dialogue box adjust the number of classes (depends on the range of contour values). Click classify to define the interval of the classes. You will have to play around with this to get it to map how you want. Generally, if polygons are missing you need to refine the classes so the values of the missing polygon are represented.

Hope that helps.

When I want to get a mesh and data sets associated with it into ArcGIS, I use the save as "Tabular Data Files" option and save out each data set I care about. I then bring it into ArcGIS and create a TIN using the data set and the mesh boundary as the TIN limits. This allows me more freedom with how to visualize the data. I have attached an example showing depth of flow.

Cheers,

Cameron Jenkins

post-1553-131981062459_thumb.jpg