GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Exporting mesh elements to ArcGIS polygon shapefile

Hi. I am working in SMS 9.0 and need to export my mesh elements ( 4 and 3 sided ) to ArcGIS. I have converted to CAD data by right clicking in the table of contents, save as DXF route but with no success. The DXF file is empty. Since I haven't used SMS in years, I'm not sure I'm in the right module (MESH v MAP v GIS) to do this or whether I need to work with the .GEO file or . What I need is an Arc shapefile of polygons with the same element numbers as in SMS. By accident I got something close but it was groups of elements with the same material (not elements as polygons). The SMS 9.0 help topic for exporting shapefiles says SMS objects like polygons can be exported with a table of attributes. Thanks for any advice.

Hi. I am working in SMS 9.0 and need to export my mesh elements ( 4 and 3 sided ) to ArcGIS. I have converted to CAD data by right clicking in the table of contents, save as DXF route but with no success. The DXF file is empty. Since I haven't used SMS in years, I'm not sure I'm in the right module (MESH v MAP v GIS) to do this or whether I need to work with the .GEO file or . What I need is an Arc shapefile of polygons with the same element numbers as in SMS. By accident I got something close but it was groups of elements with the same material (not elements as polygons). The SMS 9.0 help topic for exporting shapefiles says SMS objects like polygons can be exported with a table of attributes. Thanks for any advice.

What I usually do is convert the mesh to a map coverage and then create a shape file from the map coverage.

Cheers,

Cameron Jenkins